New DVD Releases
As the weather begins to change, this is a great time to reflect on the warm summer days of 2021, and the great movies from this season. Do you know what movie was the 1st summer blockbuster?… No, it wasn’t a Star Wars movie. It was actually Jaws! In the summer of 1975, movie goers stood in long lines to see a horror flick about a humongous terrorizing shark. Believe it or not, this movie ended up grossing over $100 million at the box office. Since then, summer movies have become a blockbuster trend.
So, don’t fret because the summer months have passed. The summer BlockBuster DVDs have just arrived at your library! This year was no exception, even though the theatres were just reopening, the production companies were busy. There are a lot of great summer releases to choose from. Many of the much anticipated sequels as well as some original movies are now waiting to be checked out at our CCPL branches.
So get your favorite blanket or sweater and curl up with a good movie. Below are some titles with links to our catalog of the latest blockbusters to help you narrow your cinematic search. And as always… choose your favorite genre to find a movie or two… or three…or feel free to watch them all!
I Carry You With Me: Based on true love, this decades spanning romance begins in Mexico between an aspiring chef and a teacher. Their lives restart in incredible ways as societal pressure propels them to embark on a treacherous journey to NYC with dreams, hopes, and memories in tow.
Charming the Hearts of Men: In the early ’60s, a sophisticated woman returns to her southern hometown and finds her options are limited. With the help of a Congressional ally, she inspires historic legislation that allows opportunities never before afforded to women.
FUN FAMILY FEATURES
- Space Jam: A New Legacy: Basketball champion and global icon LeBron James goes on an epic adventure alongside timeless Tune Bugs Bunny with the animated/live-action event from director Malcolm D. Lee. This transformational journey is a manic mash-up of two worlds that reveals just how far some parents will go to connect with their kids.
- Black Widow: Natasha Romanoff–aka Black Widow–confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a past that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.
THRILLER THEMES/SUPER SUSPENSES
- Reminiscence: A scientist discovers a way to relive your past and uses the technology to search for his long lost love. Also, a private investigator uncovers a conspiracy while helping his clients recover lost memories.
- Candyman: Oscar® winner Jordan Peele and filmmaker Nia DaCosta unleash a fresh take on the blood-chilling urban legend: Candyman. For decades, the housing projects of Chicago’s Cabrini-Green were terrorized by a ghost story about a supernatural, hook-handed killer. In the present day, an artist (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) begins to explore the macabre history of Candyman, not knowing it would unravel his sanity and unleash a terrifying wave of violence that puts him on a collision course with destiny.
- Lady of the Manor: An aimless ne’er-do-well becomes a tour guide in a historic estate and winds up befriending the manor’s resident ghost.
Respect: The life story of legendary R&B singer Aretha Franklin