Do you need legal advice or are preparing to represent yourself in a civil case in the Circuit or District Court? The Court Help Center in La Plata offers FREE limited legal help in civil cases for individuals who do not have legal representation and can assist with cases that are handled in the District Court and Circuit Court.
Some of the types of legal issues that are handled are:
- Landlord and Tenant Matters
- Family Law Matters (divorce, custody, child support, and guardianship)
- Small and Large Claims
- Expungement and Shielding of Records
- Consumer Matters (car repossessions, debt collection, and credit card cases)
- Return of Property (replevin and detinue)
- Domestic Violence/Peace Orders
Maryland Court Help Center lawyers may help you:
- Complete court forms
- Learn how to file court documents
- Prepare for court
- Prepare for mediation
- Understand court documents
Located at the basement of the Circuit Court in La Plata, Maryland Court Help is open 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. at 200 Charles Street, La Plata, MD 20646. You can also get help online at mdcourts.gov/helpcenter or by phone at 410-260-1392 between 8:30 P.M. and 8 P.M.
There is also an app for iOS and Android.
* The Maryland Court Help staff cannot help relatives of a person with a legal problem, businesses (including sole proprietors and LLC’s), third parties, and personal representatives. The staff cannot represent a person in court, they are available to help a person represent themselves.*
Additional Legal Services Offered in Maryland
- Visit the People’s Law Library of Maryland to research topics, chat with a lawyer, or ask questions to the law librarian.
- Maryland Courts offer free online webinars and a database of legal forms.
- The Women’s Law Center of Maryland offers a family law hotline Monday through Friday 9:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m at 1-800-845-8550.
- Maryland Legal Aid provides high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities