This is a super fun and easy project to do at home. I decided to decorate two spring-themed reusable canvas tote bags using our official CCPL logo colors (but of course, you could stencil your name on the bag), and I also made my own stencils out of cardstock paper. If you don’t already have stencils (or you don’t want to make your own stencils), you can always use fabric markers or acrylic paint and free-hand designs onto your tote bag.
*Crafting supplies can be ordered at Michael’s or Amazon
1. Lay down a protective plastic drop cloth or table covering and put on an apron, to protect your clothing.
2. Squirt a small amount of acrylic paint into a bowl or dish (separate colors into separate bowls).
3. Mix it up with a paint brush and get your sponges ready (sponges not pictured).
4. Lay out your canvas tote and position your stencil onto the tote.
5. Secure your stencil with masking tape or painter’s tape.
6. Lightly dab the sponge into the paint and press into the stencil, making sure to saturate the canvas fabric (and stay within the lines of the stencil).
7. Once you have painted the entire stencil, let it start to dry for a few minutes and then carefully peel up the tape to reveal the finished product. Hang the tote to allow it to finish drying.
8. Add finishing touches, if needed, with a fabric paint marker (i.e., the black eye on the yellow chick).