An apple a day keeps the doctor away…fruits and vegetables are essential to our health and well-being ~ they provide so many valuable nutrients that our bodies need. Have you ever wondered why you feel better after you eat an apple and carrots rather than an entire bag of chips or cookies? Stop by the P.D. Brown branch and pick up an educational take & make kit that will explain the science of nutrition, how food relates to the body and overall daily performance, interesting food facts and terminology, and fun activities you can do while at home. And each kit will include instructions and supplies to make a charming craft masterpiece.
Kits can be picked up during regular business hours at the P. D. Brown branch. Curbside pickup is also available upon request. To make a curbside request, please call the P. D. Brown branch at 301-645-2864. One hour advance notice is needed for curbside kit requests.
After enjoying your kit, please take a few moments to fill out our online Program Survey (a mobile-friendly version can be found here) so we may better serve you.
We encourage participants to share their finished artwork by sending a photo to: pdbrownref[at]ccplonline[dot]org.
You may also check out our CCPL catalog for more children’s resources on fruits and vegetables, nutrition, teeth, and the MyPlate initiative, such as:
- The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
- Avocado Asks by Momoko Abe
- Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
- I Won’t Eat That by Christopher Silas Neal
- Crocodile Hungry by Eija Sumner
- Fruit Bowl by Mark Hoffmann
- Good Enough to Eat: A Kid’s Guide to Food and Nutrition by Lizzy Rockwell
- Eating the Alphabet: Fruits & Vegetables from A to Z by Lois Ehlert
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Alan’s Big, Scary Teeth by Jarvis
- What’s On MyPlate? A Guide to Good Nutrition by John Burstein
- Ten Apples Up On Top! By Theo. LeSieg
- Alex Eats the Rainbow: A Book About Healthy Eating by Kerry Dinmont
- Monsters Don’t Eat Broccoli by Barbara Jean Hicks
- The Fruits We Eat by Gail Gibbons
- The Vegetables We Eat by Gail Gibbons
- Maisy, Charley and the Wobbly Tooth by Lucy Cousins
- Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana by James Dean
- Night of the Veggie Monster by George McClements
- On MyPlate: Building a Healthy Diet with the 5 Food Groups by Kim Etingoff
Unless otherwise noted and/or linked, all images were shot during the making of this blog.