The Charles County Public Library creates opportunities for the community to engage, discover, and learn.
The Mobile Services Department supports this mission by providing home delivery of books, materials, and programs to those who are unable to travel to a branch. The Mobile Services Van is on the road 20 days of the month serving individuals and groups in Charles County.
Monthly services currently offered by the Mobile Services Department include:
- Homebound Services- Materials are provided and delivered to individuals that are homebound and unable to visit a library branch due to illness or disability.
- Storytime Programs - These programs are offered to childcare providers and centers licensed through the Office of Child Care Licensing& Regulations. These are also available to public and private schools, Head Start and preschool classrooms that meet the age and child requirements.
- Lending Library deposit collection sites- These sites are located in institutions, senior centers, community centers and post offices in rural areas of Charles County.
Staff will make every attempt to accommodate requests for library and educational programs. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Library information booth
- Children’s Program
- Book discussions and Book talks
- General presentation on library resources and service
- School visits
- Career day program
In 2015, Executive Director Janet Salazar met with Commissioner Amanda Stewart, ex officio board member and library Board of Trustees President Claudia Bellony-Atanga to discuss possible ways to expand the library. A proposal for a mobile library was presented to the commissioners at a public meeting in May 2016. In July 2016 the money for the purchase of the mobile library vehicle was released by the commissioners and the order for the mobile library vehicle was placed in August 2016.
The 26 foot long vehicle, with 17 feet of loading space, has wheelchair lifts for accessibility, a side awning for outdoor programming, two public computer stations and the capacity to hold up to 2,000 books. The Mobile Library offers access to adult, teen, and children’s collections, online resources and databases, free Wifi, and public use computers. Special visits to schools and community events will be available upon request. Partnering opportunities are available.