For those enchanted by magical realms and epic adventures, a steaming cup of mocha is the perfect companion. The rich blend of chocolate and coffee mirrors the depth and complexity often found in fantasy novels. Whether you’re delving into Throne of Glass, Realm Breaker, or A Court of Thorns and Roses, let the velvety smoothness of mocha transport you to enchanting realms.
Recipe: Café Mocha – from The Coffee Book by Annette Moldvaer (pg. 170)
Not only is this a mocha recipe, but they also teach you the technique on how to make the perfect mocha of your own to experiment with!
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sauce
- 7 fluid ounces milk
- 1 double shot of espresso
- Pour chocolate sauce into a glass.
- Steam milk and add enough air to create a foam layer on top (you can do this at home with just a microwave and a wand frother too!)
- Pour slowly over the chocolate to achieve a layered look.
- Brew espresso and pour it through the milk.
- Serve as the espresso blends into the milk; stir gently with a long spoon to get that chocolatey taste throughout!
For fans of thrilling mysteries and suspenseful plots, a dark roast coffee will heighten the intrigue. Its bold and robust flavors mirror the twists and turns found in mystery novels. Enjoy a cup of dark roast (and maybe a nice crackling fire because the ambiance is everything) while engrossed in the pages of a classic Sherlock Holmes adventure, Truly Devious, or One of Us is Lying, and let the coffee’s intensity enhances the suspenseful atmosphere.
Science Fiction and a Minty Iced Latte: When exploring futuristic worlds and mind-bending concepts, a refreshing, minty iced coffee will keep you energized. Savor those while reading Iron Widow, The Darkness Outside Us, or even re-reading The Hunger Games to prep for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’ movie adaptation! Let it invigorate your senses as you journey through galaxies and dystopian societies.
Recipe: The choc-mint frappè – from The Coffee Book by Annette Moldvaer (pg. 208)
- two shots of Espresso
- ⅚ ice cubes
- 6 fl oz milk
- 1 fl oz mint flavoring syrup
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate sauce
- Brew 2 shots of espresso into a small pitcher.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Sweeten to taste with simple syrup or the sweetener of your choice.
- Serve! Garnish with chocolate shavings and mint leaves for extra flair.
For our tea lovers out there, transport yourself to different eras and unravel the tapestry of history with a comforting vanilla chai latte (a personal favorite). Its smoothness and subtle sweetness pair perfectly with the rich historical details found in books like The Book Thief, The Silence of Bones, or Like A Love Story. Allow the warmth of the vanilla latte to accompany you on a journey through time.
If you prefer realistic stories set in the modern world, a caramel cappuccino will be your go-to beverage. Its creamy texture and caramel notes complement the relatable characters and heartfelt narratives of contemporary YA novels. Sip on this delightful coffee while reading By The Book, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, or Improbable Magic for Cynical Witches, and immerse yourself in the emotional journeys of the characters.
Recipe: Turtle Mochachino – from I Love Coffee by Suzan Zimmer (pg. 102)
- 2 ounces espresso or strong coffee
- 1 ounce caramel syrup
- 1 ounce hazelnut syrup
- 1 ounce chocolate syrup
- 6 ounces of steamed milk
- Combine the espresso and syrups into a 12-ounce glass.
- Fill the rest of the way with steamed milk.
- Stir and serve!
- Enjoy! And sip slowly (like a turtle….)